From being a 21 year old UCLA student to a lifestyle and fashion inspiration on social media, she is, how her parents say, too smart for fashion.
Having had her own online vintage boutique store, Amy Lee from Vagabond youth talks about fashion, life, and the perks of being a video blogger.
Video Fashion Lookbooks on Vagabond Youth
[section label=”Interview” anchor=”Interview”]
Interview: Amy Lee of Vagabond Youth
1. How did you start blogging/ vlogging?
I had a text blog and I had just bought a pair of really cool (well, to me) shoes. I put up a 15-second of me wearing them and people who didn’t read my blog found it. They liked them a lot and asked me to style them. So I did. Then they asked me to style more, and I did. And I’m still doing that today.
2. What is your favorite thing to blog about? Why?
I love sharing my style, but I really love sharing my life. It’s really fun to put clips of that crazy night out with my friends on the Internet and see that it can positively affect someone’s day. I also love vlogging, because when I share myself/my life, I get to see which viewers really like me for me, rather than the clothes I wear.
3. Whats the biggest tip for anyone wanting to create a successful blog?
Keep GOING. Too many people give up and/or do it for the wrong reasons.
4. How do you stay up to date with fashion?
You don’t. Stay up to date with – cheesy but – yourself.
5. How would you describe your personal style? What are some of your favorite clothing stores?
California refined edge. A lot of the things I wear are more suited to the sunny California weather (shorts, ripped denim, etc) but I still love basics, leather, and black.
Favorite clothing stores: Zara, & other stores like Topshop, Reformation
6. Can you describe your daily routine as a blogger?
I definitely couldn’t do that because I would say I’m a student first! Typically, it’s school/class for several hours, then maybe hit the gym, run some errands, and film/edit if there’s time left over in the day.
7. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging/vlogging?
Meeting SO many people! I feel like I have best friends all over the world. I didn’t realize the power of the Internet and how small it can make the world until studying abroad this summer. It’s amazing and I feel so welcomed internationally…
8. How do you balance school and all the extra projects involved with blogging?
I don’t sleep. But really. I don’t sleep a lot: my friends can vouch for the many all-nighters I’ve pulled. Consequently, I get sick all the time. Which my viewers know and hate.
9. On one your youtube videos, you said you were about to major in something fashion related but what made you decide not to?
My parents said I was “too smart to study fashion.”
10. Since you major is something unrelated to fashion, what are your future plans? Do you plan on going more towards fashion or not at all?
I would love to go into marketing or advertising, more specifically, social media for a creative company. I want to be creating, and constantly working. I love work and I think that’s how I operate best.
Follow Amy & Vagabond Youth on Social Media:
Watch Amy’s Vagabond Youth on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/shopvagabondyouth